Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Con On The Cob Day 0: A Whole Lotta Nothing Goin' On


Howdy folks! Your Friendly Neighborhood Sniderman is on the road again, this time attending my favorite Ohio-based convention, Con On The Cob! Gonna be busy, busy, busy as this year I'm representing Goblinoid Games / Pacesetter Ltd in the Dealer's Hall. (The new Pacesetter banner for the booth is amazing -- I'll post pix once it's up.) Plus I'm running games and playing games and drinking some beers. The Con is always a good time, and if you're in Ohio or the surrounding area, you NEED to get here. Now then, it's a day early, and the Con doesn't start until tomorrow. But I always like to arrive a day ahead so I can unpack, set-up, and get a feel for the event before hitting the ground running the next morning.

As I always do with these travelogues, I'll share what I've seen and done each day to give you a feel for the convention while it's underway. So here we go:
  • Good thing I left early. Took two wrong turns on my way here, then missed the exit and had to go 10 minutes out of my way to get back. Even my GPS was screaming "Where in the HELL are you going? Listen to me and do what I say, dammit!"
  • WHEN I CHECKED IN, IT WAS KIND OF A CHALLENGE AS THERE WAS SOMEONE RUNNING A JACKHAMMER -- A FRIGGIN' JACKHAMMER -- IN THE LOBBY. I THINK HE WAS TRYING TO BRING UP SOME TILE AND THE SUBFLOOR TO DO SOME WORK UNDERNEATH. SO MY CONVERSATION WITH THE FRONT DESK CLERK WAS A LOT LIKE THE NOTE YOU'RE READING HERE. MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING.
  • When I got to the room, I realized I forgotten Tim's Travel Tip Number One: "Always pack a power strip." I ended up moving half the furniture to access the various outlets for all of my electronic doo-dads and what-nots.
  • BONUS NUMBER ONE: I have a fridge in my room this year. BONUS NUMBER TWO: Planning for this development, I brought a 12 of Yuengling that is now chilling in yonder fridge. (Minus the one I'm polishing off right now.)
  • Try as I might, I just could not get ANYTHING going on this first pre-night of the Con. Very few folks got here early, so the facility is somewhat quiet. That's fine as it gives me a chance to review my Cryptworld game one last time before tomorrow night's run. I'm particularly pleased with it, and it will make a fine future addition to... ah, but I said too much!
  • Something else I brought with me to while away the "downtime" is the first season of Rick and Morty. Fantastically funny show and very, very weird. Consider this a quick DVD recommendation.
Well, usually on Day 0 of these travelogues, I have something more substantial to report other than "I'm here." But the lobby is quiet, the space is still being set-up by the organizers, and no one is really here yet. But tomorrow the Con starts in earnest, so tune in for pictures, game reports, and other missives live from Con on the Cob!

I JUST HOPE I WON'T HAVE TO YELL MOST OF THE TIME I'M HERE. I'M ALL OUTTA LOZENGES.

2 comments:

  1. Following your exploits with great envy. As a father of two little ones, just drinking beer in a hotel room alone sounds like a fabulous time, not to mention the gaming you have in store. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I'm off to Big Bad Con out here come Friday.

    ReplyDelete