Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Head 'Em Off At The Pass!?" I HATE That Cliche!

A bit ago, I discussed "What Is Gonzo?" in an attempt to wrap my head around the concept as it relates to post-apocalyptic RPGs. The underlying consensus is that "gonzo" is a more madcap and chaotic in tone. Real-life physics don't come into play as often as wild fantasy tropes. Also, "gonzo" is often played for laughs.

Toward the end, I listed a few "gonzo" games in other RPG genres. "Hackmaster," "Stuperpowers," "Paranoia," and "Ghostbusters" -- or "gonzo fantasy," "gonzo superheroes," "gonzo sci fi," and "gonzo horror," respectively.

So where am I going with this? Well, an hour ago, I popped in a DVD while I worked on some Gen Con stuff -- a fairly popular comedy about a black sheriff's attempt to save the town of Rock Ridge. Inspiration hit for a new RPG genre: "the gonzo western."

When I return from Gen Con, I think I may just noodle around with this concept and see what develops. Who knows, maybe at this time next year, you may be able to play in a game of...

And no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

2 comments:

  1. I guess we gonzo-game more often than not, but the idea of a gonzo-western has eluded me until now.

    As for the cliche' line, I've actually had to use it!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-ij4nF468

    ReplyDelete
  2. For that idea, you deserve "a laurel...and hearty handshake".

    ReplyDelete